October 16, 2012
KineticD Launches Hybrid Cloud Support for VMware Virtualized Machines
Cloud backup and data recovery company KineticD, which offers its services to small and mid-sized businesses (SMBs), has rolled out an enhanced version of its KineticCloud Backup for Servers product, which is now able to protect VMware ESXi servers at the VM host level. The product is currently available in Beta for channel partners.
As more and more SMBs move to the cloud, many are looking at virtualization as a way to combine resources and reduce the costs of IT infrastructure. The VMware ESXi server allows customers to run multiple operating systems and/or machines from one physical server, saving hardware, data center space and resources, according to Jamie Brenzel, CEO of KineticD.
“By integrating VMware into our product line, SMBs will be able to enjoy the same protection and assurance available to large enterprises,” Brenzel explained. “As the adoption of virtualization grows, it is imperative that we deliver the technology that allows our customers to keep pace with these changes. We are excited to provide a product that meets the needs for local, virtual and cloud backup.”
He said that as a VMware Elite Partner, KineticD is able to deliver a “cost-effective, smart, user-friendly” way to safeguard virtualized machines, while giving users more flexibility and protection in the event of a disaster by allowing them to keep local and remote copies of their machines.
Because it is a hybrid-based cloud solution, KineticD can ensure that if a machine goes down, it can be brought back up quickly, at the host level.
By using the VMware Vstorage API, customers are able to back up data at the VM host level, simultaneously securing all or specific guest operating systems without causing downtime, Brenzel added.
KineticD touted several features of its newly enhanced hybrid cloud support, including the following benefits:
- Global Block-Level De-duplication and Incremental Backups: Using Vmware’s (News - Alert) Vstorage API coupled with KineticD’s block level deduplication, KineticD speeds up VMware backups and only sends incremental data changes and transfers blocks that haven’t been stored in the vault. Doing so eliminates unnecessary data at the source and leads to much faster backups that consume less storage, bandwidth and time.
- Agentless Deployment: Backups don’t require installing individual agents or plug-ins providing greater scalability and efficiency.
- Scheduling and Flexibility: Ability to schedule backups during off-peak times or at specific times during the day, reducing load on servers and bandwidth. Provides full and differential backups, using VMware’s changed blocks tracking feature.
- Enhanced Protection: Settings of virtual machines (like hardware configurations), data stored on virtual disks (including all information on guest operating systems) and applications are always backed up.
- Hybrid Cloud Protection: Access to off-line (local) and online (remote) versions of files provides ongoing availability to digital assets at all times.
In related news, last month, KineticCloud Backup for Servers was certified by Microsoft (News - Alert) to run on Microsoft Server 2012.
“Our Independent Software Vendor (ISV) community is alive with innovation and we're committed to helping our partners drive the next generation of software experiences,” Ross Brown, vice president of ISV and Solutions Partners for the Worldwide Partner Group at Microsoft said in a statement. “Adding compatibility for the latest Microsoft technologies helps ISVs stay ahead of the competition and provide their customers with access to cutting-edge technologies.”
Edited by Rachel Ramsey